[kepler-dev] Problem fix when building Kepler via both Eclipse Ant + Eclipse Project

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 7 10:49:22 PDT 2007

Another data point - I just timed building a completely new checkout of
Ptolemy and Kepler using ant The time for

ant ptolemy buildkarlib run-dev

was 3 minutes 15 seconds on a 3 GHz Windows XP system
and 3 minutes 30 seconds on a MacPowerBook

On both machines, about 2 minutes was spent on compiling and jarring the
ptolemy code.

So a 14 minute time for eclipse does seem way too long

Dan Higgins

---

Chad Berkley wrote:
> 14 minutes!?  With ant it never takes me more than a 1.5 minutes on a
> fully clean build.  Something must be broken with the eclipse build.
>
> chad
>
> Derik Barseghian wrote:
>
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> I'm also using Eclipse to build and work on Kepler, though am new to
>> both. I agree, the build time for Kepler is long! I've just tried
>> building before and then after following your instructions below, but
>> Eclipse took the same amount of time each time--a little over 14 minutes
>> (dual 3ghz machine). How much time did you save when excluding "build/"?
>> I have noticed that right after a build, any consecutive builds without
>> changes will occur nearly instantly...I suspect Eclipse isn't really
>> doing anything when it sees nothing has changed. Was this maybe what you
>> saw?
>>
>> Derik
>>

>> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 15:11 +1000, Tony O'Hagan wrote:
>>
>>> I found that when building Kepler+Ptolemy using Eclipse Project and Eclipse
>>> Ant that you can get into what I suspect is an infinite build loop or at
>>> least a very long and slow build (I ran out of patience and aborted Eclipse
>>> several times).
>>>
>>> To avoid this you need to exclude the "build/" subdirectory from the
>>> kepler/ptII build path.  I'd recommend that .classpath.default be updated to
>>> reflect this change (I don't have CVS write access).
>>>
>>> Step by Step:
>>> 1. Select Eclipse 'kepler' project
>>> 2. View project properties via the context menu.
>>> 3. Select 'Java build path'
>>> 4. Select the 'Source' tab
>>> 5. Under the 'kepler/ptII' source tree select the 'Excluded' tree node
>>> 6. Click the 'Edit' button
>>> 7. Click the lower 'Add' button beside the Exclusion patterns.
>>> 8. Enter 'build/' in the pop up window.

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195