[kepler-dev] Ptolemy compilation problem

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 5 14:21:27 PDT 2007

Hi Dan,

We are using Java 1.5 as our nightly build, but many people are using
Java 1.6 on their machines.

The official line is that Java 1.5 compatibility is required.  Thomas
Feng just checked in some code which will likely be moved from gr to
gt. This code has the 1.6 dependency.

We'll work on fixing the 1.6 issue.

_Christopher

--------

    Hello Christopher,

        We got a Ptolemy compilation error last night in the Kepler build.
    The error message is below.
    The problem is the use of 'Font.DIALOG' which turns out to be a field
    added in Java 1.6.

        Is Ptolemy now using Java 1.6?  (We are using Java 1.5 in our
    nightly build.)

    Dan

    ----

        [javac] /var/kepler/kepler-nightly-build/ptII/build/src/ptolemy/actor/g
   r/RuleEditor.java:288: cannot find symbol
        [javac] symbol  : variable DIALOG
        [javac] location: class java.awt.Font
        [javac]         header.setFont(new Font(Font.DIALOG, Font.BOLD, 11));

    Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
    http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
    National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Scienc
   e Building - Room 3405
    Santa Barbara, CA 93195