[kepler-dev] Kepler Training Videos/Exercise 1 Problem

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Wed Apr 25 12:56:31 PDT 2007

Dan,
    As always, thank you! You've been incredibly helpful time and
again. Your solution will work (in the short term at least). I looked
the fool today when I gave a presentation on Kepler and I didn't have
any actors of my own to show.

    So, this will help me. However, I'm slightly concerned about the
future. I am "imagining" the video as I work through the material on
my own. Does this mean that anyone who ever wants to develop actors
(even the HelloWorld actor) has to be approved as a developer before
they can continue? That can add an extra level of complexity for those
who are still evaluating Kepler and discovering how easy (or
difficult) it is for them to code their own actors.

    Regardless, Kirsten and I discussed the Getting Started Manual
today. With that, and the introductory flash video, I'm going to be
quite busy and won't get to that future concern for some time.

Warmest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
--
913-486-8775
glen at glenjarvis.com
http://www.glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi

Hi Glen,
    I looked into you problem and discovered that several of the ant
'target' scripts need to be modified to compile using the beta3
release or the nightly build zipped version. (A primary problem is
that the $KEPLER/build/kepler.jar file is not automatically added to
the classpath and thus the compiler will not find ptolemy classes.)
    I suggest that you get Kepler CVS read permissions if you do not
have them and work with CVS releases rather than the beta3 release.
This will put you on the same status as developers and make it easier
for developers to help if problems occur.

Dan