[kepler-dev] Tutorials and Demos

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sat Apr 7 10:57:59 PDT 2007

Deana wrote:

> Yes, but I have limited time to learn how to do this -- Glen has
> experience and is offering his time, therefore I most definitely
> vote that we let him do it!     :-)
> I may still do some things with Camtasia, but there is no reason it
> can't be a joint effort.

The response is:

Deana,
    I am all about teamwork. I don't know much about working inside of
the Kepler group yet, and I don't yet know what are the main bullet
points that were to be covered in the videos. I do, however, know
online video editing and have gotten better and better at it with a
few projects under my belt. So together, with your experience in
kepler-dev and with my editing experience, I think we could do a very
nice job.

    For example, I could just send an email regularly asking, "What do
you think of this idea?" and send a link to an accompanying video.
And, since you know more what is needed, could in a sense manage the
production (i.e., manage me) to get exactly what we want for
professional training videos.

    I also just picked up Camtasia as an alternate to the video
editing tools I've been using. I'm currently using an evaluation copy,
however, I'm incredibly impressed. While driving for a few hours in
the car yesterday, I became more and more exciting as I thought about
what could be done. For example, [look at the Kepler logo that is seen
on the splash screen when Kepler is first started], the Kepler splash
screen/logo has several circles (Actors) connected together to a final
workflow. The "Loading" video to show that Flash Kepler Demo is
left to right, like a status bar is often seen when something is

    This idea is very clean and adds that small but professional
touch. It was everything I could do to make myself not sit down and
work on the pulsing loading video. (Unfortunately, I have to manage my
time closely these next few weeks).

    So, Deana, I greatly appreciate your offer to work together. Do
you still need me to do testing in these Demos you had originally
mentioned? I would happily be a test case for you. I hope all is well.

Warmest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
--
913-486-8775
glen at glenjarvis.com
http://www.glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi