[kepler-dev] Naming Conventions for Actors?

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Wed Apr 4 08:15:22 PDT 2007

Christopher,
    Thank you for pointing me into the right direction. How excellent!
I am very familiar with the naming convention of CamelCase names. I,
however, did not remember the phrase "Camel Case," although I had
heard it before.

    I need to explore a bit more before I ask a question like this. In
both cases where I couldn't find documentation (that is when I needed
the *.doc version of Getting Started and when I needed the Software
Development Guidelines) they were available from the main website.

    My main question was why some actor's names are "LikeThis" while
others are "Like This." I will start exploring the Software
Development Guidelines in about 30 days. After that, I will probably
either find my answer or ask this question again when I have the
framework to ask it in a clearer manner.

    Regardless, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. It
is greatly appreciated.

Warmest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
--
913-486-8775
glen at glenjarvis.com
http://www.glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi

Hi Glen,
There are a couple of different issues here, I can address the Ptolemy
issues.  Kepler uses Ptolemy, so some of the actors are Ptolemy
actors.

Ptolemy has a style guide at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptIIlatest/ptII/doc/coding/style.htm
that says that Java classes and variables should use CamelCase names.
We don't abbreviate words, so the words should be complete words.

Parameters can have a Java name and a separate display name that can
have spaces.

Kepler has similar, though slightly different styles, see
http://www.kepler-project.org/Wiki.jsp?page=SoftwareDevelopmentGuidelines

I'm not that sure about the style of the Kepler Guide.

In the Ptolemy design docs, I usually stick with the Java
CamelCasename, but that is because I'm a Java programmer, so I write for
other Java programmers.  The Kepler docs could easily use a different
style.