[kepler-dev] Some quick questions

Colin Enticott Colin.Enticott at csse.monash.edu.au
Wed Apr 4 02:12:02 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have a few (hopefully) quick questions.  I've just started developing in
Kepler after the recent visit by Ilkay Altintas and have successfully
created an actor for our project Nimrod using the NimrodJavaAPI interface.

I was wondering how you set an icon for an actor?  I followed the tutorial
which suggests setting "_iconDescription", but I didn't have any success.
Doing a search on the wiki suggests that the icon system is/has changing?

Is there a convention where to set system level options?  E.g. the
NimrodJavaAPI needs to know where Nimrod is installed.  Currently, I have
this information set in the Unix environment.  Ideally, this should be set
in the "system properties" in the Java environment, but I am not sure where
this can be set.  Is there a Kepler properties file somewhere?

And finally, I recently did a cvs update on both Kepler and ptII and now
when I run kepler for the second time (not the first), I get this error
(looks like an error loading the cache):
     [java] Opening user preferences PtolemyPreferences.xml...     [java]
KAR Library directories: [/remus/cme/kepler/kepler/kar/actors,
/remus/cme/kepler/kepler/kar/directors]     [java]
com.microstar.xml.XmlException: name expected (found " ") in [external
stream] at line 84 and column 11
     [java]     at ptolemy.moml.MoMLParser.error(MoMLParser.java:1006)

Kepler then runs without any components being displayed. (I can make the
whole error available if this error seems odd).  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Colin

---
Colin Enticott, Research Scientist, Ph: +61 03 9903 2215
Room H7.26, Level 7, Building H, Monash University Caulfield 3145, Australia