[kepler-dev] Naming Conventions for Actors?

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Apr 3 12:55:45 PDT 2007

As a new person, I often feel embarrassed about asking questions that
may or may not be "tribal knowledge." Sometimes I only need directed
to a document or site that I may not be aware of to get the answers
that I need.

Some of my more "nit-picky" notes that I have found, with fresh eyes
to the project, include the confusion with the "SummaryStatistics"
actor [Notice no space].

Almost all other actors in the Guide followed a convention that
included spaces, and capitalized the first letter of every word. When
looking at a nightly build, I see the actors in Components -> Data
Input -> Local Input, for example, have a mix of conventions. Most are
of the convention mentioned, like "Binary File Reader", "Current
Time," and "Directory Listing." Others omit the spaces, similar to
some Object Oriented naming conventions (which is obviously
appropriate) like "ClimateChangeFileProcessor" and
"ClimateFileProcessor."

I am assuming from the sheer number of actors of the first convention,
the standard includes spaces and that external actors like
"ClimateChangeFileProcessor" and "ClimateFileProcessor" all came from
the same source that did not follow the convention. Am I incorrect?

Where can I find naming conventions and programming guidelines? They
are obviously important because, as an end-user, there is a different
searching behavior (and returned results) depending upon how an actor
is named.

Again, thank you to everyone thus far that has been extremely helpful.

Warmest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
--
913-486-8775
glen at glenjarvis.com
http://www.glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi