[kepler-dev] Kepler won't start for me...

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Fri Sep 22 19:40:20 PDT 2006

About the load problem:
IMHO there are user requirements and their constraints coming from the
underlying system.

Others have already commented on the various "gotchas" in Ptolemy and
Kepler, so I stick to the requirements:

As a user, after installing Kepler I'd like to see a reasonably small
number of actors (proxy or real -- I don't care as a user ;-)
preloaded. Small as in load it fast.

In 99% of all times, users will have access to the internet. So when I
say "search" on the actor pane, I would like to be connected to a
Kepler actor repository which has an index of all available actors.
It will return to me the "signature" (actor name, ports, metadata) of
all actors that were found. If I decide to "download" an actor, from
that point on the actor will live locally on my disk (and, btw, we
might need versioning here..).

When designing this (overdue I think ;-) feature, we might also
include the idea of creating Kepler 'packages'.
For example, there could be a SEEK package, SPA package, Cipres
package etc. A packackage is just a bundle of actors that people have
designed for a particular user group.

Bertram