[kepler-dev] Kepler won't start for me...

Shawn Bowers sbowers at ucdavis.edu
Fri Sep 22 15:49:17 PDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Edward A. Lee wrote:

> (BTW, this sort of experience has convinced me that this idea of loading
> all the actors at startup time was a really bad idea, and in fact could
> ultimately make Kepler unusable... Can I talk you into going back to the
> Ptolemy II model of loading actors only when the libraries are opened?).

The reason we are doing the "full load" is because we want to be able to
search over the actors -- and Ptolemy provides no support for this without
can't use the current Ptolemy infrastructure/classes to load "proxies" of
actors ...  I think the main reason why it takes so long, and also the
reason why we haven't implemented a better solution, has actually more to
do with the excessive XML writing/reading/processing going on in how
Ptolemy loads/processes actors.

-shawn