[kepler-dev] Kepler won't start for me...

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 22 16:18:35 PDT 2006

Sounds like we can work on Ptolemy so that it can handle proxies!

What would need to happen?

_C

--------

    > There are lots of things about Ptolemy that I don't like, but one
    > thing I do like is that I can start up even if some package somewhere
    > is not quite right.  It would be nice to see this work in Kepler
    > in a similar fashion.

    Sure -- but also its useful to know ahead of time if there is a problem. I
    think both of these can be achieved, except ... .

    > I'm not sure I understand why the search mechanism can't be modified
    > to search proxies, but then again, I don't understand much about the
    > search mechanism :-)

    The search mechanism could easily be extended to support proxies -- it
    would be trivial. The problem is that Ptolemy can't be easily extended to
    support proxies ...

    -shawn

    > _Christopher
    >
    > --------
    >
    >     We've encountered this DB lock problem before.  Its not related to th
    >     tree, but to the underlying database for data access.  I think Jing
    >     might be able to clarify the details, but try killing all kepler
    >     processes and then deleting the hsqldb.lck file and starting up Keple
   r.

    >     I agree the startup sequence is a problem.  I'm hoping that we can
    >     eliminate the need to load every actor upon startup (or even upon
    >     opening a tree node) by using a proxy object in the tree that represe
   nts
    >     just some metadata about the actor.  Only upon DnD onto the canvas wo
   uld
    >     the actor be instantiated.  This should help tremendously with startu
    >     time and initial reliability (of course at the expense of not seeing
   the
    >     errors until someone tries to use an actor).
    >
    >     Matt
    >
    >     Christopher Brooks wrote:
    >     > Yep, you probably have two keplers running.
    >     > There is an open bug for this problem.
    >     >
    >     > There is also an open bug for the start up speed issue.
    >     >
    >     > _C
    >     > --------
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >     Kepler won't start for me... I get the following
    >     >     exception (BTW, this sort of experience has convinced me that
    >     >     this idea of loading all the actors at startup time was a reall
    >     >     bad idea, and in fact could ultimately make Kepler unusable...
    >     >     Can I talk you into going back to the Ptolemy II model of loadi
   ng
    >     >     actors only when the libraries are opened?).
    >     >
    >     >     Any suggestions for starting Kepler?  I tried deleting the lock
    >     >     file, but the OS won't let me, telling me some other applicatio
    >     >     is using it.  I suspect the other application is Kepler, left
    >     >     over from a previous failed attempt to start it...
    >     >
    >     >     Edward
    >     >
    >     >     Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in us
   e by
    >     >     another process: org.hsqldb.NIOLockFile at c06705ff[file =C:\Docum
   ents
    >     >     and Settings\eal\.kepler\cache\cachedata\hsqldb.lck, exists=tru
   e,
    >     >     locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: The
    >     >     process cannot access the file because another process has lock
   ed a
    >     >     portion of the file : C:\Documents and
    >     >     Settings\eal\.kepler\cache\cachedata\hsqldb.lck
> [...]
   java:5
    >    25)
    >     >              at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.
   java:1