[kepler-dev] Kepler won't start for me...

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Sep 22 15:54:35 PDT 2006

We've encountered this DB lock problem before.  Its not related to the
tree, but to the underlying database for data access.  I think Jing
might be able to clarify the details, but try killing all kepler
processes and then deleting the hsqldb.lck file and starting up Kepler.

I agree the startup sequence is a problem.  I'm hoping that we can
eliminate the need to load every actor upon startup (or even upon
opening a tree node) by using a proxy object in the tree that represents
just some metadata about the actor.  Only upon DnD onto the canvas would
the actor be instantiated.  This should help tremendously with startup
time and initial reliability (of course at the expense of not seeing the
errors until someone tries to use an actor).

Matt