[kepler-dev] Kepler won't start for me...

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 22 15:40:39 PDT 2006

Yep, you probably have two keplers running.
There is an open bug for this problem.

There is also an open bug for the start up speed issue.

_C
--------

    Kepler won't start for me... I get the following
    exception (BTW, this sort of experience has convinced me that
    this idea of loading all the actors at startup time was a really
    bad idea, and in fact could ultimately make Kepler unusable...
    Can I talk you into going back to the Ptolemy II model of loading
    actors only when the libraries are opened?).

    Any suggestions for starting Kepler?  I tried deleting the lock
    file, but the OS won't let me, telling me some other application
    is using it.  I suspect the other application is Kepler, left
    over from a previous failed attempt to start it...

    Edward

    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by
    another process: org.hsqldb.NIOLockFile at c06705ff[file =C:\Documents
    and Settings\eal\.kepler\cache\cachedata\hsqldb.lck, exists=true,
    locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: The
    process cannot access the file because another process has locked a
    portion of the file : C:\Documents and
    Settings\eal\.kepler\cache\cachedata\hsqldb.lck
             at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcUtil.sqlException(Unknown Source)
             at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
             at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.getConnection(Unknown Source)
             at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
             at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)
             at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
             at
    org.ecoinformatics.util.DBConnectionFactory.getDBConnection(DBConnectionFac
   tory.java:91)
             at
    org.ecoinformatics.util.DBConnectionFactory.getDBConnection(DBConnectionFac
   tory.java:73)
             at org.kepler.gui.KeplerInitializer.initializeSyste