[kepler-dev] ParameterSet

Norbert Podhorszki pnorbert at cs.ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 19 18:40:13 PDT 2006

Hi Edward,

Good that you fixed that bug.
Unfortunately, the current situation does not satisfy my taste.
Currently, the on-screen parameter is in effect always. Only if it is
missing, is the parameter taken from the ParameterSet used.

I liked the original behaviour better, namely, that the parameter in the
ParameterSet was in effect. This way I could develop a workflow, put all
parameters on-screen with a default value. Then the users could execute
that workflow with default values from command-line. But also, they could
write a config file to overwrite the default values and parametrize the
workflow as they wanted. And it was not a problem if something was missing
from the config, the workflow had a default value inside the workflow's
xml file.

Just look at the attached screenshot. Is it not nice to have this
self-documenting feature of parameters within the workflow (besides
providing default values)?

What is the advantage of the current precedence?

Norbert

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Edward A. Lee wrote:

> I am (finally) checking in a fix to the bug described below.
> The bug was in the Variable class.  The problem was that if you
> changed the name of a Variable (which is what you do when you
> drop a Parameter on screen and then change its name), the variable
> with a new name may now shadow some other variable (such as one
> in a ParameterSet or ScopeExtendingAttribute).  But those now
> shadowed variables were not getting invalidated, and hence the
> presence of the new variable would not be noticed until you saved
> and re-loaded the model.
>
> Thanks Norbert for pointing out this (rather subtle) bug.
>
> Edward

      Norbert Podhorszki
      University of California, Davis
      Department of Computer Science