[kepler-dev] Java Baseline version for Kepler

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 27 12:33:45 PST 2006

Hi All,

    For some time now, the baseline Java version used for Kepler has
been Java 1.4.2. However, many users/developers are now using Java 1.5
(and Java 1.6RC has just been released by Sun!). We have run into
several problems with 1.5 dependencies with Kepler code and our
integration with Ptolemy. Christopher Brooks has told me that the
6.0beta version of Ptolemy is based on 1.4.2 but is compatible with 1.5;
however, future versions of Ptolemy will require 1.5. We are thus
proposing that the 'official' Java version for Kepler be upgraded to
Java 1.5 and we are setting up the NCEAS nightly build system to use
Java 1.5 instead of 1.4.2.
    Right now there does not appear to be any problem with this change,
but if it does cause a problem for anyone, let us know as soon as possible.

Dan Higgins - NCEAS

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195