[kepler-dev] the ability to pause/adjust/restart a workflow

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 13 10:48:13 PST 2006

Hi Laura,

Kepler allows the user to change parameters and topology while the
model is running.   This is what change requests are for.

One thing that Kepler does not do is have a way of easily restarting
runs after a crash or stop.  The idea here is that we would want to
be able to checkpoint the model and restart it, perhaps on a different
machine etc.  This is an open area of research.
Thomas Feng is working on backtracking, which is a much smaller
research area, see http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~tfeng/backtrack.html
and
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/projects/summaries/07/ptIIdistributed.html

Thanks for the clarification.  The feedback we get from users like the
one you chatted with is invaluable.  For every conversation like the
one you had, there are probably dozens of people who have downloaded
Kepler or Ptolemy and not said anything.

_Christopher
--------

    I don't know Edward if they decided it would be easier to write their own
    workflow environment.  You could be right.  We didn't have a very long
    conversation.

    I did encourage the gentleman to post to kepler-dev and talk about what he
    needs and what his concerns were etc.

    In trying to remember more of the conversations, he mentioned one of his
    students had assessed Kepler about 4 weeks ago and it just didn't have what
    they needed -- then I asked what did they need and he mentioned what I firs
    posted.  I got the impression he meant being able to actually explore and
    look at data along the way, and maybe actually change or alter the course o
    the workflow some based on that assessment -- but that is me guessing.

    I don't think it was a matter of simply pausing and restarting, but being
    able to assess things, adjust things, then restart from that point without
    writing a new workflow or starting over etc.

    Laura L. Downey
    Senior Usability Engineer
    LTER Network Office
    Department of Biology, MSC03 2020