[kepler-dev] Beta1 Freeze

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue May 23 10:32:45 PDT 2006

Hi Matt,
Just to add my ever present $0.02.  For the Ptolemy project,
a good demo has:

- An annotation that describes what the demo demonstrates.
The annotation should describe why the demo is cool
to a non-expert (pointy haired boss, Mom, etc.)

- A title annotation can be nice.

- The name should reflect the title.  For Ptolemy, Demo
names should follow Java identifier rules so we can easily
do codegen, for example: WirelessDistance, not wireless_distance.
The reason is so that we can do codegen.
Kepler need not follow this rule.  However, uniform
naming of files is a total win.

- If the model has a limitation, there should be an annotation
in a different color, maybe a smaller font, that lists
the limitation.  Limitations include the fact that the
model needs additional software or access to a database
that is not shipped with the product etc.

- Ptolemy demo usually have an author annotation.  This helps
promote pride of ownership and results in increased maintainability.
I see you suggest that as well for Kepler.

- Ptolemy demos should display in a 1024x768 display.
The reason: That is the size of laptop that Edward and I have.
The way to check this is in Kepler do Help -> About ->
Getting Started -> Ptolemy introduction -> Copyright
  -> Other information about this configuration
  -> Check model sizes and centering
I'm not sure if Kepler wants to follow this standard or not.

Anyway, these are the Ptolemy guidelines for a good demo,
Kepler demos need not follow these guidelines.

_Christopher

--------

    Two addenda:

    1) When choosing and providing your example workflows for your projects,
    please make sure they work but also please be sure to document them --
    provide annotations on the canvas that explain the purpose and approach
    of the workflow, and provide the workflow author name and the date.  I
    did this within the the Kepler documentation framework so that 'Display
    documentation' shows something reasonable.  The getting-started-guide
    examples are a good place to look for examples.

    2) Please name your workflows consistently and with informative names --
    most people will not be familiar and as these are dmeos the file names
    should be descriptive.  You might look at the filenames in the
    getting-started-guide directory for examples.

    Thanks.

    Matt