[kepler-dev] creating a compositeActor and saving it in the library

Zhijie Guan guan at sdsc.edu
Fri May 12 11:43:22 PDT 2006

Hi,

Does anyone know the procedure to create a compositeActor and save it
in the library?

I checked the Kepler-dev archive for last four months but seems there
is no discussion on this issue. There are some compositeActors in the
library, e.g., Actor/Domain Specific Actor/Computational Chemistry
Actor/GamessNimrodRun. I am wondering how that actor was added. I'd
like to have a complete list of steps that I can follow to create and
save a compositeActor in the library.

The steps I know:
1. create a sub-workflow in Kepler user interface, including those
parameters and input/output ports, and save it as a xml file. The
example xml file for GamessNimrodRun is in $KEPLER/src/org/resurgence/
moml/GamessNimrodRun.xml.

2. Register the meta-information for this actor? I don't know how to
do this. For an actor, we should create a directory and two files in
$KEPLER/src/actors. But it seems the information for GamessNimrodRun
is not there. Can anybody teach me how to do this for a compositeActor?

3. Create the mapping between the actor and the icon. We should edit
the $KEPLER/configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/
uiSVGIconMappingsByLSID.properties to add an entry for the new actor.
Since compositeActor is an Moml file without a class, we can only
edit the uiSVGIconMappingByLSID.properties. Otherwise we can still
use uiSVGIconMappingByClass.properties. If we don't create the
mapping, Kepler will use default icon for the new actor.

4. Run "ant buildkarlib" to get kar files.

5. Run "ant run-dev" to start Kepler.

Did I miss any steps? Or is this procedure reasonable?

Thanks!

Zhijie