[kepler-dev] open new Frame in Edit_parameter dialog

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 28 18:48:15 PST 2006

Hi Wei
The Ptolemizer demo at
$PTII/ptolemy/actor/lib/python/demo/Ptolemnizer/Ptolemninzer.xml has a
a PythonScript actor The PythonScript actor has an _editorFactory
attribute.  When the user clicks on the icon, it pops up the editor.

Below is the xml for this actor from that demo.
In ptolemy, you can get at it with View->XML View

The source code for the PythonScript actor is in Ptolemy, not Kepler
You can look at the source code at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII5.0/ptII5.0.1/ptolemy/actor/lib/python/PythonScript.java

However, the key part is that the _model_ has xml that says to
get the value for the script using a text editor:

        <property name="_editorFactory"	class="ptolemy.vergil.toolbox.TextEditorConfigureFactory">
            <property name="attributeName"
	    class="ptolemy.kernel.util.StringAttribute"
	    value="script">
            </property>
        </property>

The documentation for the tableau system is out of date, there might
have been some in the Ptolemy II design docs at one time, but it was
removed. The best documentation is the source code.  Look at
ptII/ptolemy/actor/gui/EditorFactory.java and
ptII/ptolemy/vergil/toolbox/TextEditorConfigureFactory.java

BTW - Thev reason that the the Python actor is not included in Kepler
is because the Python actor actually uses Jython, a Java
implementation Python.  When Jython starts up, it wants to write
cache files for each jar file in the classpath.  Since Kepler has lots
of jar files and also instantiates all the actors at run time, this
was making startup very slow.  I think this is a bug in Jython, it
also prevents using Jython in WebStart.

As far as using ant, I run in to similar problems, where I'm editing
ptolemy files and I want the changes to quickly show up in kepler.
I've ended up hacking up the build.xml files so that $PTII is searched
before ptolemy.jar.  You could try something similar.  I don't have
any changes to check in, they are long gone.

_Christopher
--------

    Seems I begin to understand the mechanism behind, so to create  a speical
    frame  when clicking "look inside" menu, I frite have to my own tableau
    class and tablea factory class, and then put into moml file as a property,
    is it basically correct? If I can find some documents on this development
    that will be greate (I can stop asking such basic questions)

    Also I wonder to know what the correct step to make the kelper system
    after change the preoperty in the moml file?  My step is
    ant clean-full
    ant ptolemy
    ant compile
    ant buildkarlib
    rm ~/.kepler
    ant run-dev

    it works, but takes too much time. Is there any shortcut here? Thansk a
    lot

    Wei Lu