[kepler-dev] Kepler Documentation system

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 21 11:22:07 PST 2006

At 09:59 AM 3/21/2006, Dan Higgins wrote:
>One issue that I find is that the custom documentation completely
>replaces the doclet/source based documentation. Thus, if you add just
>one custom field, all the source-based documentation disappears. I think
>it might be better if the two source were somehow 'merged' so that field
>where custom data is missing show the source data (and we might want
>some additional fields in the custom documentation editor).

I'm confused... Customizing the documentation doesn't completely
replace the source-based documentation.  Only the fields you specify
are completely replaced.  Thus, if you customize the description,
it is replaced, but the descriptions of the ports and parameters remain.

If you are seeing blank fields as a result of a customization, then
this is a bug... Please send an example model and I'll take a look...

You may be objecting to having the description replaced, but I wouldn't
know how to merge these.  They are, after all, random text.
My choice was instead to provide a link
to the "Class documentation" at the lower right.

Edward

Edward A. Lee
Professor, Chair of the EE Division, Associate Chair of EECS
231 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
phone: 510-642-0253 or 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2845
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal