[kepler-dev] Global access of a value among all workflow actors?

Norbert Podhorszki pnorbert at cs.ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 2 13:57:33 PST 2006

Hi Nandita,

some days ago I was also struggling with such needs (configuration
determined at beginning influences all subworkflows; logging;
(implicit) control flow).

My own answer for myself was:
This would be a different (second) mechanism for communication among
actors, which is not presented by the graphics. I think, Ptolemy and
Kepler, and any other graphical design tool can kill itself in two
different ways:
  1. When people feel the tool too limited, developers try to add
workarounds. This results in the extensive use of workarounds, so the
original becomes meaningless: why to use cumbersome graphics if we can
solve it easier?

  2. Developers resist. Tool users then go for textual tools, where
expression is stronger.
I know one example, the P-GRADE graphical parallel programming
environment, from my previous institute, is limited by graphics to express
all message-passing possibilities. -> People still use MPI to write
parallel programs.

>From other viewpoint:

1. 'Global' works as long as you are located in a shared-space
environment, practically on one PC. Whenever, Kepler/Ptolemy will support
execution in distributed environments, a support for global notion could
introduce a bigger mess than that extra dozens of connections.

2. As far as I know, there is no graphical tool for shared-space concept.
Because, how could you represent the mess, what happens in a shared-memory
application, graphically?

I would like to think about rather graphical solutions,
  e.g. layered views, (bring to front/send to back a'la Powerpoint)
  e.g. colors/styles for connections (I would distinguish in my workflows
data flow/control flow/configuration info/logging info)

Tim McPhillips and Bertram Ludaescher are working on the "collection
oriented" dataflow concept, which can reduce the number of connections on
the screen. Such an approach may you help, or not.

Best regards
Norbert
--

      Norbert Podhorszki