[kepler-dev] Configuration of workflow

Norbert Podhorszki pnorbert at cs.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 26 14:35:14 PDT 2006

Hi,
We have a workflow with lots of StringParameters and the user
executes it command-line (without GUI).

I am looking for ways to conveniently use a configuration file for the
workflow. Does anyone have a workflow that takes parameters from file?

Option 1.
Edit the workflow's xml file, for the StringParameter properties.
Ugly and user-hately.

Option 2.
Have a config file with format
    name=value
    name=value
And create a script that replaces the parameters' values in the workflow's
xml before running it.
Modestly-ugly but efficient and physicist-user-friendly.

Option 3.
Create a subworkflow to read the config file and set variables within the
workflow. This subworkflow should go in front of the rest of the workflow.
Nice, user-friendly and built-in solution.
Here I face the problem, that VariableSetter actor cannot accept variable
names, only the values. Is there any solution in Ptolemy/Kepler?

Option 4.
Native Ptolemy/Kepler support...? E.g. an actor written in Java.

Thanks in advance for advice or more options
Norbert

--

      Norbert Podhorszki
      pnorbert at cs.ucdavis.edu