[kepler-dev] {Filename?} Re: Custom actor deployment

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 1 16:45:21 PDT 2006

Hi Sivagowri,
Any progress on this?

The problem compiling Director is because
ptII/ptolemy/actor/Director.java
has an isStrict() method added after the Kepler 1.0.0alpha9 release.
The change was:
revision 1.241
date: 2006/04/04 23:13:36;  author: hyzheng;  state: Exp;  lines: +24 -1
added two methods: isFireFunctional and isStrict, which provide the functional and strictness properties of actors.

To build Kepler-1.0.0alpha9, you would probably need to check out a
version of the ptII repository from the same date as the
Kepler-1.0.0alpha9 release.

To check out a version of ptII that corresponds with the alpha9
release, I would try :
  cd $PTII
  cvs update -D 2006-03-07

You might need to move the date to an earlier day, since
kepler-1.0.0alpha9 was presumably forked from an earlier day.

I think what you are doing is difficult on several counts:
1) Kepler and Ptolemy II are moving targets
2) Building can be difficult.
3) Adding custom actors to the alpha release is difficult.

There is not much to be done here.  The Kepler Beta is almost out,
that might help.

Your request:

>    5. How to deploy the custom actor in kepler version alpha 9.0? can
>    somebody try deploying the Helloworld actor in kepleralpha9.0 and
>    let me know the steps at least?

Is a good question, but I'm not sure if there is anyone to work on
it.  I don't have much time to focus on this right now, other
tasks await.

I recommend:
1) wait for the beta
2) Work with your manager on doing a build.
If need be, tar up a directory and send it to him, asking that
he untar it and set PTII and KEPLER.
3) Keep asking questions.  We will see many more questions
like yours until we make this easier.

Sorry this is all such a pain, you are between a rock (a manager)
and a hard place (active alpha/beta code).

_Christopher

--------

    Hi all

    I have been trying to deploy a custom actor[which extends TypedAtomicActor]

    that I have created using the kepler development environment. The actor
    works if i instantiate kepler from my devpt. environment. now I need to tak
    the source files, class files, .xml, .MF files and place it in kepler
    version alpha 9.0 and try to bring up the actor in my ontology tree, WITHOU
    COMPILING OR BUILDING. I am using windows XP OS.

    For the past two weeks I did some kind of study and found a write up that
    might help me in my endeavour.
    http://mercury.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinformatics/pipermail/kepler-users/2005-Ma
   y/000006.html

    accordingly,
    1. I tried to modify Kepler_alpha9.lax with 'src/fpkg' added at the end of
    classpath, where fpkg is the package containing the source and class files
    for my actor.

    2. then I modified the annotation.owl file with the following script
      <!-- "File Chooser Actor" "urn:lsid:localhost:actor:473:1" -->
      <asc:Annotation rdf:ID="A419.1">
        <asc:lsid>urn:lsid:localhost:fpkg:A419:1</asc:lsid>
        <asc:annotates>
          <asc:ItemTag>
            <rdf:type rdf:resource="&ont;FileSystemActor"/>
            <asc:taggedItem>
              <asc:Actor>
                <asc:lsid>urn:lsid:localhost:actor:473:1</asc:lsid>
             </asc:Actor>
            </asc:taggedItem>
          </asc:ItemTag>
        </asc:annotates>
      </asc:Annotation>
    The intention is to place my actor whose LSID is 473 under FileSystemActor
    group.

    3.In keplerActorOntology.owl file, I added the following at the end
      <owl:Class rdf:about="urn:lsid:localhost:onto:1:1#FileChooserActor">
       <rdfs:subClassOf>
         <owl:Class rdf:about="urn:lsid:localhost:onto:1:1#FileSystemActor"/>
       </rdfs:subClassOf>
       <rdfs:label rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string"
       >File Actor</rdfs:label>
       </owl:Class>

    4.I had the .java files and the .class files in a folder called fpkg, which

    I copied it in kepler-1.0.0alpha9/src folder
    and under the kepler-1.0.0alpha9/src/actor folder, I created a folder calle
    FileChooserActor within which I copied the xml and MF files for the actor.
    have also attached the xml as well as MF files for your reference. Matt's
    suggestion of placing the class files in org.kepler.* also gave me the same

    error of 'classpath not found' (see err3.bmp).

    5.In C:\kepler-1.0.0alpha9\build\kepler.jar, I manually added the .class
    files from C:\kepler-1.0.0alpha9\src\fpkg\* .class which I added in step 4.

    The processof manual addition is to open the kepler.jar file using winzip
    and then using 'add' command to add the class files from src/fpkg location
   ,
    checking the 'use full path' checkbox.

    6. I then used cygwin withnthe command "ant buldkarlib" for building the ka
    library. It was successful.

    7. Then I double clicked the kepler_alpha9 launchAnywhere zerog software
    icon to get kepler running.

    I am getting the classpath not found error for the umpteenth time even
    though I found the src/fpkg folder added to the classpath. The error messag
    is given in err.bmp file, with the classpath added using the lax file
    underlined in orange.

    questions:

    1. What are the general steps to be undertaken to deploy custom actors in a
    existing kepler version? obviously the above steps are not sufficient.

    2. In keplerDevelopment tutorial you have a tutorial to build your own
    kepler actor 'Helloworld' using the deveopment environment. But what about
    its deployment in a kepler version say alpha9.0?

    3. I need to submit my custom actors and workflows to my project manager an
    also install them in his machine. How do I do it?
    4. My reason for not building C:\kepler-1.0.0alpha9\:
    	I installed a fresh version of kepler alpha 9.0, and used 'ant run-dev'
    compile and build.
    	it requires ptolemy i.e. the environment variable PTII indicating the
    ptolemy source files. I cannot expect my manager to have the ptolemy source

    files in his machine! nevertheless I used my PTII directory and proceeded.
    It gave errors like some keplersplash.png and log file missing. I copied
    those files from my development environment and placed it in the alpha 9.0
    version. Here again my manager being a user, would have no idea about these

    errors.
    it gave me the following error:
    "compile-dev:
        [javac] Compiling 878 source files to
    C:\kepler-1.0.0alpha9\build\classes
        [javac] C:\kepler-1.0.0alpha9\build\src\ptolemy\actor\Director.java:119
   :
    pto
    lemy.actor.Director is not abstract and does not override abstract method
    isStri
    ct() in ptolemy.actor.Executable
        [javac] public class Director extends Attribute implements Executable {
        [javac]        ^
        [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
        [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
        [javac] 1 error"

    so I decided that the deployment should be without building or compiling
    kepler alpha9.0. I can use buildkarlib for creating the kar files though.

    5. How to deploy the custom actor in kepler version alpha 9.0? can somebody

    try deploying the Helloworld actor in kepleralpha9.0 and let me know the
    steps atleast?

    Thanx
    Siva

    >From: Matt Jones <jones at nceas.ucsb.edu>
    >To: Chad Berkley <berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu>
    >CC: Sivagowri Swaminathan
    ><sivagowri at hotmail.com>,kepler-dev at ecoinformatics.org
    >Subject: Re: [kepler-dev] Custom actor deployment
    >Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:14:23 -0800
    >
    >And also note that new class files are not moved using the KAR import
    >mechanism.  So if you want to move your actor to another Kepler instance
    >without compiling it there, you need to be sure that the .class files get
    >added to the classpath on that machine.  Then the Import KAR with the
    >additional metadata that Chad describes should work.  We have the goal of
    >including the .class files in the kar file, but because of dependency
    >problems we've decided that that is not tenable at the current time.
    >
    >Matt
    >
    >Chad Berkley wrote:
    >>Hi Siva,
    >>
    >>What does the moml look like that you are adding to the kar file?  If it
    >>is standard ptII moml then it won't work.  You need to use the kepler
    >>extensions.  See src/actors/Constant for an example.  Also, you should no
    >>have to copy the kar file by hand to the kar directory.  If you are using

    >>'ant buildkarlib' it should be copied automatically.  Another thought is
    >>that if your class really is in src/fpkg, you'll probably need to alter
    >>the build file because I don't believe that everything in the src
    >>directory is built.  If you put it under org.kepler.* it should be built
    >>properly.  Check the kepler.jar file to see if your class actually makes
    >>it in there.
    >>
    >>chad

    ------=_NextPart_000_2b64_7756_3c95

    This is a message from the MailScanner E-Mail Virus Protection Service
    The original e-mail attachment "err.bmp"
    is on the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and has been
    replaced by this warning message.

    If you wish to receive a copy of the original attachment, please
    e-mail helpdesk and include the whole of this message
    in your request. Alternatively, you can call them, with
    the contents of this message to hand when you call.