[kepler-dev] problems with very slow startup

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 20 16:42:08 PDT 2006

Hi Karen,
Are you saying it take 8-10 minutes to run the full-clean, ptolemy,
compile cycle, or it takes 8-10 minutes after you run "ant run-dev"?

To start up, I use:
rm -rf c:/Doc*/cxh/.kepler
ant full-clean ptolemy buildkarlib run-dev

The blank square is the splash screen, which is there to work around
slow start up.  There is an open bug for both of these problems.

_Christopher
--------

    Hello,
    I'm having a pretty bad performance problem that hopefully somebody can
    help out with.

    I updated both ptolemy and kepler today and now when I try to start
    kepler, it takes  8-10 minutes for the gui to popup.  I have a dual 3.4
    linux box and top shows it 99% idle.  After I updated I did

    ant full-clean
    ant ptolemy
    ant compile
    rm ~/.kepler
    ant buildkarlib

    The gui  eventually comes up.  A blank square pops up right away and
    sits there for the rest of the time.  This update introduced the new
    changes to the ontology structure since my last update.  I removed all
    my actors descriptor files to ensure that they are not causing this.  Is
    there something more I need to do?  Any pointers are appreciated as 10
    minutes is an awfully long time to wait.

    Thanks,
    Karen