[kepler-dev] Non-Compiling Code in the Kepler Tree

Matthew Brooke brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Jan 31 16:35:12 PST 2006

> Can you enumerate some of the problem files?

src/org/kepler/scia/UDF_split.java (package has been commented out)

src/org/kepler/objectmanager/cache/DataCacheViewer.java

src/doc/doclets/ActorClassWriter.java (fails only under JDK1.5)

(and the JUnit tests you know about)

Something I didn't clarify in my email is that I'm really referring to
"long-term" breaks - which is what the 3 non-test classes above are. We
all manage to break the build occasionally, which is no big deal because
it's usually fixed quickly, once pointed out (eg your JUnit probs).

cheers

Kevin Ruland wrote:

> Matthew,
>
> I agree completely.  Branching the repository should even be an option.
> Can you enumerate some of the problem files?  (Am I the perp for
> anything other than the tests? :)
>
> Kevin
>
> Matthew Brooke wrote:
>> I'd like to issue a general plea that people don't check code into the
>> Kepler src or tests directories if it does not compile.
>>
>> Several classes have been checked in and then excluded from the build
>> by editing the ant build file. However, for people such as myself who
>> also wish to compile and run from within an IDE, it is an ongoing pain
>> to have to deal with these classes, since I cannot "exclude" them from
>> the build unless I delete them after each cvs checkout, or I edit my
>> local copy so it compiles.
>>
>> If broken classes must be in CVS long-term, I would request that you
>> either comment out lines until they are fixed, or check them into a
>> separate area in the CVS tree - not src or tests.
>>
>> Thank you

Matthew Brooke, Ph.D.
Marine Sciences Research Building, Room #3407
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106-6150
ph: (805) 893-7108   fx: 805-893-8062

brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu