[kepler-dev] Can "stop" interrupt "initialize()"

Kevin Ruland kruland at ku.edu
Mon Jan 30 11:49:17 PST 2006

Edward A. Lee wrote:
> At 08:41 AM 1/30/2006 -0600, Kevin Ruland wrote:
>> Also, if some actor somewhere does do something extremely time
>> consuming in it's initialize method, there is currently no pleasant
>> way to interrupt it.  The user can click on the stop button, and it
>> does appear to have some effect -- that is, it's indentation changes
>> when pressed -- however, it does not interrupt the processing.  This
>> behavior could be considered a but itself.  Either the stop button
>> needs to be disabled until it can do something useful, or it should
>> stop the workflow regardless of its execution state.
>
> Every Director has a method isStopRequested().
> A long running initialize() method should just call this method
> and abort if it returns true...

Edward,

I think I can use this in some kind of spin wait.  What's the easiest
way for an actor get a handle to it's director?

I did a little digging and noticed that Manager.finish() does a
notifyAll().  Presumably I could tap into this as well and synchronize
on the Manager object.  Of course, I need to get my hands on the
Manager, and there might be a different deadlock situation present.

Thanks much.

Kevin