[kepler-dev] Can "stop" interrupt "initialize()"

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jan 30 07:41:59 PST 2006

>>> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:41:50 -0600
>>> Kevin Ruland <kruland at ku.edu> wrote:
KR>
KR> Bertram,
KR>
KR> Things like static type checking may be optional (to the workflow) in
KR> the sense that one could still execute a workflow without having done
KR> the static type checking step or perhaps the workflow could be executed
KR> if static type checking fails (user override?).  In this sense, data
KR> completed data loading prior to execution.

I agree that e.g. static type checking is (typically) optional Also it
is different from data loading.  On the other hand, there are
similarities between a long-running job / actor and the data
operation" seems necessary. This what I was arguing for (different
stages or phases) in the light of long-running data loading operations
on start-up. For example, wouldn't it be useful to have the
possibility that the user chooses which dataset is being loaded before
it is actually loaded at startup?

KR> Also, if some actor somewhere does do something extremely time consuming
KR> in it's initialize method, there is currently no pleasant way to
KR> interrupt it.  The user can click on the stop button, and it does appear

Maybe we should discourage such practice, i.e., having time consuming
initializes. A rule of thumb could be: if it takes longer than a few
seconds, it should be NOT part of the initialization phase, but a
separate phase!? (obviously this needs some more thought)

KR> to have some effect -- that is, it's indentation changes when pressed --
KR> however, it does not interrupt the processing.  This behavior could be
KR> considered a but itself.  Either the stop button needs to be disabled
KR> until it can do something useful, or it should stop the workflow
KR> regardless of its execution state.

I guess in Ptolemy, hitting 'stop' implies that the system goes into a
"defined state" so that when hitting 'resume' (currently the same as
'play' ;-) things are consistent. A "hard interrupt" would probably
causes problems with restarting later!?

KR> I have been given no requirements for the data loading process - other
KR> than to see if we can make ptexecute work correctly.

For the particular workflow at hand, could the dataloading be moved
from the init phase to a later phase (when 'play' has been hit)? Or is
the data loading already happing at 'play' time!?

Bertram