[kepler-dev] Ptolemy II 6.0 Release Plans

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 26 17:49:28 PST 2006

At 11:39 AM 1/26/2006 -0800, Christopher Brooks wrote:
>Please send me other features that will ship and I'll
>send out a revised list next week.

Below is my unedited notes about changes:

Bug fixes:
  - fixed memory leaks in MoMLParser
  - Create hierarchy didn't work with classes
  - Undo didn't always work with classes
  - Couldn't drop a director (or anything containing a SharedParameter)
    into a class that already had an instance.
  - Relation groups didn't always work with hierarchy.
  - Paste of hierarchical models would mess up locations on the inside.

Case actor.

Union type.

New domain: rendezvous

Documentation infrastructure.

I've checked in changes to make the highlighting of classes and
of inherited elements opaque.  They used to be translucent so that
the highlights could compose even though they overlapped.  However,
if you print a model to EPS or PDF, the presence of translucent elements
forces the rendition to be rasterized. This results is a major loss of
quality...

New deadlock detection mechanism in process domains supporting
multi-threaded actors
rendezvous domain:
  - Multi-way rendezvous
  - ResourcePool actor
  - Barrier actor
Decorative attributes properly go to background or foreground
SDFDirector has a period parameter now, making it timed.
Display name for parameters (need not match the name)
Preferences manager and
  - preference to specify link bend radius
  - preference to specify relation size
  - preference to show parameters
Multiport connections show ordering
Relation groups
Bus relations displayed better
SDF scheduler runs faster
SDFDirector has period and synchronizeToRealTime parameters.
Workspace has wait(object, timeout) method, and DE uses it (some deadlocks
   prevented when using synchronizeToRealTime).

I've just checked in a change to MoMLParser that fixes
a serious bug with relation groups.  In particular, copy
and paste with relation groups was not working properly.
Also, undo was not working properly.  It was a simple
one-line fix.  I wonder if it's worth updating the 5.0
release?  Christopher?  I realize this is a lot of work...

I've also fixed a more minor bug where relations were
not offset when pasted, but everything else was. This
resulted in a diagram that didn't have the same geometry
when pasted.  This was a simple change to
vergil.basic.BasicGraphFrame, although I also did some
editing to make it conform more precisely to our style.

I've added a "dashArray" parameter to shape objects that are
used in custom icons, so you can now create dashed lines in
the icons.  To get this to work, I fixed a bug in diva
BasicFigure where dash and linewidth could nullify each
other.  I guess we need to regenerate the diva jar again...

Michael J Wirthlin <wirthlin at ee.byu.edu>