[kepler-dev] Duplicate function actors?

Wibke Sudholt wibke at oci.unizh.ch
Thu Jan 26 11:25:55 PST 2006

Hi everybody,

Sorry for not answering earlier, since I am the author.

I assume DirectoryListing and FileArrayPrinter probably do similar things (I
think I came across their similarity earlier), though I would need to test
in detail. There were, however, some reasons I had for doing a "duplicate"
here:

* This was one of my very first actors in Kepler :-) and so I potentially
overlooked the other one (I am a domain scientist by training).

* In the workflows where FileArrayPrinter is used, actually I do not need
the URL, but the path. The reason for this is that later there is a lot of
command-line calls and processing. And I did not want to always do String
processing before.

* For the Resurgence workflows it is very important to be able to transform
arrays into sequences of tokens and vice-versa. If that is possible with
DirectoryListing, there is probably not much sense to keep FileArrayPrinter.
However, I remember another discussion about a Resurgence actor (it might
have been about file copying/writing or similar) where it actually turned
out that two actors do something similarly, but not identically. The reason
for this has been that I always have to make sure that the Resurgence actors
work in very particular ways with sequences of tokens.

Unfortunately, I am heavily loaded by a different project at the moment, so
I will need a bit time to check this. But polishing the Resurgence work is
anyhow somewhere on my personal to-do list ...

Thanks and best regards,

Wibke

Dr. Wibke Sudholt
Institute of Organic Chemistry