[kepler-dev] New Documentation

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jan 9 20:24:09 PST 2006

Hi All,
    Edward Lee and Christopher Brooks have modified the Ptolemy code to
add some nice documentation displays. Currently, there improvements do
not show up in Kepler, so I have worked out how to get these examples
working.

    First of all, the Kepler 'ant ptolemy' command does not build the
ptolemy documentation. If you really want to see the latest version of
Ptolemy you need to have Cygwin on your Windows machine and run the
'make' command inside the PTII directory. [I assume that you have a new
checkout of PTII and Kepler.]This will create a vergil.bat file inside
the bin directory. Set the permissions to make the bat files executable.

    Then go to the PTII/doc directory and run
make docs

This will create the javadoc and other documentation file. The current
version of 'ant ptolemy' does not build this documentation!

    You can then run vergil.bat, drag an Expression actor to the work
area, right click on it and select Documentation and you will see a nice
display like that shown below.

    If you use 'make' to build this documentation and then run 'ant
ptolemy' the needed help information will end up in the ptolemy-doc.jar.
It will then also appear in Kepler (for those actors where Ptolemy has
created it]!

    I think this new documentation format looks nice and fills many
Kepler needs. We just need to figure out how to add the functionality
that Christopher has added with 'make' to ant.

Dan