[kepler-dev] Documentation of demo workflows for Kepler Alpha 9 release

Zhijie Guan guan at sdsc.edu
Tue Feb 21 14:20:04 PST 2006

Agree. More discussion on the content and format of the workflow
documentation are needed.

Zhijie

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Chad Berkley wrote:

> I agree with Christopher here.  I don't think we should mix file extensions.
> It's confusing later.
>
> chad
>
> Christopher Brooks wrote:
>> Hi Zhijie,
>> .doc is probably not the right extension since under Windows .doc means
>> Microsoft Word.
>> Perhaps it would be better to put this information in a .htm file
>> with <h2>...</h2> sections for each of the questions?
>> That way, anyone can easily edit the file by double clicking on it.
>> Perhaps the file should be called ModelNameDoc.htm?
>>
>> In Ptolemy II, we found it very helpful to follow naming conventions
>> for files.  So, a demo called "Spectrum" is a .xml file called
>> demo/Spectrum/Spectrum.xml.  For applets, the applet would
>> be called demo/Spectrum/Spectrum.htm.  Perhaps the
>> additional documentation would be in a file called
>> demo/Spectrum/SpectrumDoc.htm?
>>
>> We required demo names to follow the Java class naming
>> conventions (alphanumeric only) so that we can easily generate
>> code for demos.
>>
>> The advantage of a strict naming convention is that it makes it
>> easy to refer to other demos without struggling with the contents
>> of each directory.
>>
>> _Christopher
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Zhijie Guan" <guan at sdsc.edu>

>>> 3.1 What OS can this workflow be run on? (Windows/Linux/Unix/Mac)
>>> 3.2 What additional software are needed?
>>> 3.3 Does the user need to do any settings? (like the path of the
>>> temporary
>>> file, the number of iteration times, etc)
>>> 3.4 Does the user need any account/password?
>>> 3.5 What database/web services/web-based applications are used in the
>>> workflow? Are they available usually?
>>> 3.6 Is there any other things that the user need to do to run this
>>> workflow?
>>>
>>> 4. What does the user expect to see as the result of the workflow?
>>>

>>> So here I suggest we write the doc according to the following format
>>> (shown as a doc for workflow "RecIDCM3.xml").
>>>

>>> RecIDCM3.doc
>>> Goal: Simulate RecIDCM3 algorithm with the CORBA services provided by
>>> the
>>> CIPRES SDK.
>>>
>>> Author(s): Zhijie Guan, Terri Liebowitz, Alex Borchers (contact:
>>> guan at sdsc.edu)
>>>
>>> Compatible OS:
>>> Mac (Yes. tested)
>>> Windows (No. CIPRES SDK is not compatible with windows)