[kepler-dev] Run with feedback --> Animate Execution

Laura L. Downey ldowney at lternet.edu
Fri Feb 17 09:57:59 PST 2006

Just to point out that current users are all used to Animate Execution
because they know what it means.  My assertion here is that "Run with ...."
does make sense because you are saying how you want something to run -- with
or without some kind of feedback, animation etc.  It is certainly related to
running a workflow and that is the reason I'm trying to keep some similar
phrasing/terminology etc.

I'm trying to use the same word for referencing the operation of "running or
executing," not two different terms because that is not good design
practice.  So we might have:

Run
Run Window
Run with Animation (as an example since we have some objection to the term
feedback)

Or

Execute
Execute Window
Animate Execution

Run is a simpler term than execute/execution and also a much shorter word in
the menu items.

Also, there are other things to consider, which is what I meant about trying
to coordinate menu items.  The basic notion of what we are doing here is
providing some visual indication of what is happening.  We are thinking of a
visual type checking mode and it won't be "animated" but just color and
symbol coded and I wanted to consider the same term to describe that, maybe
"highlighting" or something, not sure just yet.

Laura L. Downey
Senior Usability Engineer
LTER Network Office
Department of Biology, MSC03 2020