[kepler-dev] DataSource Icon troubles

Shawn Bowers sbowers at ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 3 10:43:10 PST 2006

Laura L. Downey wrote:

 > The only real technicality here regarding standard design principles
 > is that we might think there would be a little confusion when
 > dragging a data file from the tree that turns into a different large
 > file folder on the workflow canvas.  I wondered the same when I
 > first looked at Kepler.

So basically you are proposing we have two kinds of folders in the
actor/data trees: one signifying normal folders (i.e., something that
can have sub-folders and actors and/or datasets), and one signifying
datasets themselves -- and both of these essentially look the same (at
least closer now), except with slightly different yellow colors and
shading.

Also, a folder to me signifies something that can be hierarchically
nested (i.e., containing subfolders) and can contain multiple files
...  I don't see how this reflects the notion of a tabular dataset
(*maybe* XML, but that makes it even more confusing) --

-shawn

 > But we haven't had any feedback during training or basic testing that
 > indicated people were confused with a directory file folder in a tree
and
 > the large file symbol being used in a workflow.
 >
 > I haven't tried it yet but did think about representing data files in
the
 > tree that can be dragged as the flat dark gold file symbol so that they
 > looked different than the standard directory file folders in the
tree.  Also
 > users can't drag the directory file folders but they can drag the
data file
 > folders.
 >
 > Laura L. Downey
 > Senior Usability Engineer