[kepler-dev] DataSource Icon troubles

Laura L. Downey ldowney at lternet.edu
Fri Feb 3 08:16:09 PST 2006

Quite simply no. The small 16X16 file folder icon in a directory is strongly
used and almost universally recognized.  It also has a three-d shape and can
be opened or closed.

The large file symbol being used in a workflow is a little different shape,
flat, not three-d, does not open and close, is dark gold and is much larger.
So there are several difference cues even though some similarity.

The only real technicality here regarding standard design principles is that
we might think there would be a little confusion when dragging a data file
from the tree that turns into a different large file folder on the workflow
canvas.  I wondered the same when I first looked at Kepler.

But we haven't had any feedback during training or basic testing that
indicated people were confused with a directory file folder in a tree and
the large file symbol being used in a workflow.

I haven't tried it yet but did think about representing data files in the
tree that can be dragged as the flat dark gold file symbol so that they
looked different than the standard directory file folders in the tree.  Also
users can't drag the directory file folders but they can drag the data file
folders.

Laura L. Downey
Senior Usability Engineer
LTER Network Office