[kepler-dev] Kepler specific Director and ComponentEntity classes and _addIcon()

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 19 07:40:49 PDT 2006

Matthew writes:

> Given the non-trivial issues and potential changes involved, and
> given the imminent deadlines for Kepler Beta 1 and 1.0 releases, I'm
> soundly of the opinion that we should probably not make any attempt
> to actually do any of this until after 1.0; what do you think?

Hi Matthew,

We could delay this.  However, I think Edward sketched out a design
that might work.  I could try implementing it and see.
It might just work seemlessly.  As per Edward's mail that followed
your mail, we are not talking about adding *Icon.xml files.
This could also solve the icon problem for Attributes.
I could install the MoML changes and we could see what happens.

I was not planning on being at Albuquerque.  Partly a time commitment
issue.  I could probably do more for Kepler sitting at home cleaning
things up.

I think XMLIcon is a possible fly in the ointment.  I have not
looked at it.

_Christopher
--------

    At 09:17 PM 4/18/2006, Matthew Brooke wrote:
    >If I understand you correctly, you guys are saying we should use the
    >*Icon.xml system - is that right? If so, I don't think that's going
    >to work for Kepler; basically, we have about 130 (and counting)
    >icons already defined as standard SVG files - do you mean we'd need
    >to write a *Icon.xml file (which is not SVG, but is ptii-specific)
    >for each one? I'm not entirely sure I'm understanding you correctly,
    >so let me know if I'm on the wrong track...
    >(keeping up the "train wreck" theme ;-)

    This is not my suggestion...

    What I'm suggesting is that we co-opt the mechanism that supports
    the *Icon.xml technique in PtII.

    Specifically, a Kepler-specific icon loader would be registered with
    the MoMLParser using a static method (see previous email).  That
    icon loader would populate each object that could have a *Icon.xml
    file (does this currently include directors?) with a Kepler-specific
    subclass of EditorIcon.  That subclass would access your existing
    SVG data in whatever form it currently exists and provide the
    rendering.

    Edward

    Edward A. Lee
    Professor, Chair of the EE Division, Associate Chair of EECS
    231 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
    phone: 510-642-0253 or 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2845
    eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal
--------