[kepler-dev] Loading documentation

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Apr 13 11:42:59 PDT 2006

Hi Nandita,

    I was trying to understand why I needed to regenerate the
documentation every time I checkout a new version of Kepler. I haven't
looked at your code but it appears that 'ant generateDoc' creates a file
called 'docsInfo.txt ' in the $kepler/doc/ directory and that that file
contains the path to the directory that contains the documentation xml
files. It appears that Kepler actually reads the file to find the
documentation. Is that correct?

    If so, I would like to suggest a change. We use an environment
variable KEPLER_DOCS to create the baseline documentation. Why don't we
continue to use it inside Kepler for opening a documentation window?
[The problem with using a file is that it is only correct for the
machine where the docs were generated and this creates difficulties when
we build installers or someone moves Kepler or the kepler-docs
directory]. If the code used the KEPLER_DOCS env variable, I can set
that on the command line that starts Kepler. Otherwise I need to rewrite
the file in installers and, in any case, we need to make the path
relative rather than absolute so that the user can put Kepler anywhere
they wish.

Dan

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195