[kepler-dev] New deadlock detection mechanism

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 3 13:37:27 PDT 2005

I've checked into the Ptolemy II CVS repository a new
deadlock detection mechanism in the actor/process package
and the PN, CSP, and DDE domains.  This new mechanism dispenses
with the assumption of the previous mechanism that an actor
had exactly one thread associated with it.  This new mechanism
will make it easier to have nondeterministic actors, actors
that internally have parallelism or concurrency (e.g., hierarchical
combinations of the CSP and PN), and distributed models.

Please let me know if you encounter any difficulties with
models either failing to terminate when deadlock occurs or
detecting deadlock when there was none (I hope no such circumstances
occur, but the code is pretty tricky, so there could still be bugs).

I noticed that the DDE domain is not functioning, and apparently
wasn't in the 5.0 release. I will work on resurrecting it when
I get a chance, unless someone else is interested...

Edward

Edward A. Lee
Professor, Chair of the EE Division, Associate Chair of EECS
231 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
phone: 510-642-0253 or 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2845
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal