[kepler-dev] Problems for building Kepler

Zhijie Guan guan at sdsc.edu
Tue Oct 25 11:23:41 PDT 2005

Hi, All,

Could anybody help me clarifying how to build Kepler with the latest CVS
check out version?

I checked out Ptolemy and Kepler from CVS repositories yesterday
afternoon. Then I followed the instructions from previous emails to build
KSW by running "ant buildkswlib". The system reported a bunch of errors (I
list part of them as follows in Error part 1). Then I tried to to go back
to the old building instructions stated online as developers' guide. I run
the command "ant full-clean ptolemy run-dev". The building process run
smoothly execept the errors reported when loading the Vergil interface at
the last (as in Error part 2). It seems the system cannot find any KSW
library. After I dismissed the errors, the GUI did initialized but no
directors, actors, or parameters was loaded in the Graph Editor.

I am not sure if I missed any important email on the kepler-dev list for
building Kepler. But a brief instruction on how to build Kepler is really
appreciated at this time.

Thanks!

Zhijie

Error part 1:

client64-123:~/kepler zhijieguan$ ant buildkswlib
Buildfile: build.xml

preinit:

checkOS:

win.prep:

lin.prep:
      [echo] Guessing that you are running: Unix

init:

copy-lib-win:

copy-lib-unix:

setcommonclasspath:

prepare:
      [copy] Copying 1 file to /Users/zhijieguan/ptII
      [copy] Copying 1 file to /Users/zhijieguan/ptII
     [mkdir] Created dir: /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/src
     [mkdir] Created dir: /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/classes
      [copy] Copying 781 files to /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/src
      [copy] Copied 109 empty directories to 13 empty directories under
/Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/src
      [copy] Copying 58 files to /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/classes
      [copy] Copying 70 files to /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/configs
      [copy] Copying 15 files to /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/configs
      [copy] Copying 1 file to /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/configs
     [mkdir] Created dir: /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/configs/kepler
      [copy] Copying 1 file to /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/configs
      [copy] Copying 228 files to
/Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/workflows
      [copy] Copying 19 files to /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/src
      [copy] Copied 18 empty directories to 2 empty directories under
/Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/src
      [copy] Copying 1 file to /Users/zhijieguan/kepler
     [mkdir] Created dir: /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/tmp

checkForJ1_4:
      [echo] true

J1_4_Only:
      [copy] Copying 4 files to /Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/src

compile-dev:
     [javac] Compiling 741 source files to
/Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/classes
     [javac]
/Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/src/com/numericsolutions/geomodeltools/DensityGridActor.java:35:
cannot resolve symbol
     [javac] symbol  : class RecordToken
     [javac] location: package data
     [javac] import ptolemy.data.RecordToken;
     [javac]                     ^
     [javac]
/Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/src/com/numericsolutions/geomodeltools/DensityGridActor.java:36:
cannot resolve symbol
     [javac] symbol  : class StringToken
     [javac] location: package data
     [javac] import ptolemy.data.StringToken;
     [javac]                     ^
     [javac]
/Users/zhijieguan/kepler/build/src/com/numericsolutions/geomodeltools/DensityGridActor.java:37:
cannot resolve symbol
     [javac] symbol  : class IntToken
     [javac] location: package data
     [javac] import ptolemy.data.IntToken;
... ...

=======================================
Error part 2:

      [echo] java.library.path=/Users/zhijieguan/kepler/lib
      [java] Failed to load properties pile, try rerunning configure with:
      [java]   cd $PTII; ./configure
      [java]  Exception was:
      [java]   java.io.IOException: Could not find
$CLASSPATH/lib/ptII.properties
      [java] Opening user library
/Users/zhijieguan/.ptolemyII/UserLibrary.xml...
      [java] WARNING: you specified the directory
/Users/zhijieguan/kepler/kar/actors as a KAR repository directory but it
either does not exist or is not a directory.  No KAR files have been
loaded from this directory.
      [java] WARNING: you specified the directory
/Users/zhijieguan/kepler/kar/directors as a KAR repository directory but
it either does not exist or is not a directory.  No KAR files have been
loaded from this directory.
      [java] java.lang.Exception: You must provide a property called
_libraryDir that provides the relative path to the KAR directory from
$KEPLER.
      [java]     at
org.kepler.moml.KSWLibraryBuilder.buildLibrary(KSWLibraryBuilder.java:166)
      [java]     at
ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication.openLibrary(VergilApplication.java:230)
      [java]     at
ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication._createDefaultConfiguration(VergilApplication.java:418)
      [java]     at
ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication._createEmptyConfiguration(VergilApplication.java:439)
      [java]     at
ptolemy.actor.gui.MoMLApplication._parseArgs(MoMLApplication.java:871)
      [java]     at
ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication._parseArgs(VergilApplication.java:512)
      [java]     at
ptolemy.actor.gui.MoMLApplication.<init>(MoMLApplication.java:207)
      [java]     at
ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication.<init>(VergilApplication.java:105)
      [java]     at
ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication$1.run(VergilApplication.java:148)
      [java]     at
java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:178)
      [java]     at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:454)
      [java]     at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
      [java]     at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
      [java]     at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:178)