[kepler-dev] [Fwd: [kepler-cvs] kepler/src/exp/ptolemy/actor/process ProcessThread.java]

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 25 09:51:11 PDT 2005

Hi Ilkay,

For the Ptolemy non-graphical code, check out a tree, check in the
changes, run the test suite:
  make tests
You can run this at any level, including the top.
Most tests pass, but some don't, so it is often worth running the
tests first and then making mods and running them again.
See $PTIII/doc/coding/testing.htm

Also, if you go to the copyright page by following an about:copyright
url, then there are links to open all the files in model page or
to expand the configuration.  This is a good way to find missing
classes.  I recently extended actor.gui.HTMLAbout
so it looks for attributes like _applicationDemos, which
is an array of Strings naming files that should be expanded.
See $PTII/ptolemy/configs/viptos/configuration.xml

I'm game for implementing a graphical test harness.  I've looked in to
it in the past and not come up with a really good solution.  Maybe we
can collaborate on this?

BTW - I'd rather see the Ptolemy tree broken for a few hours than see
code duplication, especially of core classes.  When Edward and I have
taken user contributions and folded them in to the tree, the worst
problems have occurred when the contribution duplicated a class.  Now
we have more places to fix the same bug.  I know this drives Edward
nuts and gets him asking why-o-why did we take that user contribution.

If the Ptolemy tree does not have the proper extension points for
Kepler, then I consider that an architectural design flaw in Ptolemy
that we should remedy asap.

_Christopher

--------

    I agree. In the future, we'll discuss these things on Kepler-dev.

    I actually like Shawn's idea of making sure that any code that will
    affect the core is bullet-proof before it is checked in. I don't know a
    good way of doing this. (Considering our experience in the past with
    setting up code reviews.) Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    -ilkay