[kepler-dev] Request for adding documentation on Kepler Actors

nmangal@sdsc.edu nmangal at sdsc.edu
Wed Nov 30 17:08:56 PST 2005

Hello Kepler-Developers,

For implementing Kepler documentation framework, we have implemented xslt
processors which based on actorList.moml and
actor kar files produce respective html MAN pages for all kepler actors.
However the current MAN pages ,which are
similar to javadoc in formatting , are currently lacking the main
function/purpose of the actor and authors etc.

I request all Kepler developers to kindly add the above information in 3-4
lines on their respective actor's entities , to help the Kepler MAN pages
be
even more helpful for Kepler users and beginners. We are trying to
incorporate the above MAN pages for the upcoming Kepler release.

Kindly follow the following steps to add documentation to your actor MAN
pages:

1) Get an CVS updated version of actorList.moml
   (configs\ptolemy\configs\kepler)
2) For each actor entity that you have recently developed or in the past
add the following XML information
   under the "documentation" property

   Sample Constant Actor Entity Documentation:

    <!-- Documentation regarding the actor's overall functionality. -->
  <property name="documentation"
class="org.kepler.moml.DocumentationAttribute">
    <configure>
    <description><brief>Produces a constant value on each fire
cycle.</brief>  The constant value is set by the user as
                 a parameter of the actor, or defaults to an integer value
of 1 if unset.
    </description>
    <algorithm>Examines the &quot;value&quot; parameter and emits it on
the ouput port during each fire event.</algorithm>
    <typicalUsage>Used to parameterize other models that take constant
values as inputs.</typicalUsage>
    <author>Yuhong Xiong</author>
    <author>Edward A. Lee</author>
    <project>Ptolemy II</project>
    </configure>
  </property>

3) Build the KSW library , Kepler to make sure there was so invalid
XML/other errors.
4) Check in the actorList.moml files into CVS.

You are free to add additional nodes under the root configure node to
further describe your actor.
If you have any further questions please feel free to email me at
nmangal at sdsc.edu

Thank you for your co-operation.
Sincerely,
Nandita Mangal.