[kepler-dev] Plans for Actor kars?

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 21 12:43:53 PST 2005

Kevin,

Chad is away for the week.  Here's my memory of the decisions:

Kevin Ruland wrote:
> Matt, Chad, et. al.
>
> I am embarking on the simplification of the current actor kar loading
> process but I cannot recall what we decided.  I do know we decided that
> we would not be putting .class files (or .jars) in the current actor
> kars.  But I do not remember if we are going to use plain-old-moml
> documents for the actors, or a simplified kar file with MANIFEST and moml.
We decided to stick with the KAR format because of the desire to include
data in the package as well as the MoML.  Later it may be extended as we
discussed for the binary components.

> Leaving the kar structure *might* provide us with a convient transition
> path to using complete kar files in the future.  Then again, it might not.
>
> One final question, what is the id property in the class property of
> actors?  It is populated with a value like:
> urn:lsid:localhost:class:1070:1 which indicates to me that it should be
> an lsid for the actor implementation class.  However, the actors which
> use the same implementation (e.g. those using WebServiceActor) each have
> different values in this field.
It is the identifier for the actor executable class.  I too think it
should be the same for all actors that share a class like the web
service actor.  IIRC, right now it isn't because Chad's parser requires
it to be unique, which I think Chad was planning on fixing.  Chad will
have to clarify on this one.

Matt