[kepler-dev] concurrency libraries for jdk 1.4

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 15 16:20:12 PST 2005

Possibly of interest:  Thomas Feng, Yang Zhao and I have checked
in to the CVS tree a new domain, called "rendezvous", that uses
extensions of CSP to get multithreaded programs that communicate
by rendezvous. It has a small library of actors supporting conditional
rendezvous, barrier synchronization, and buffering. All ordinary
Ptolemy II actors should work fine with the RendezvousDirector.

Together with the PNDirector, I'm guessing that these two provide
the capabilities you would get from a thread library, but at
a better level of granularity and abstraction.  But I would be
interesting in hearing opinions to the contrary (or better, examples
of things that become hard to do).

Edward