[kepler-dev] Kepler Imaging

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Sun Nov 13 19:03:46 PST 2005

Hi All,

    I just took a look at the Powerpoint file
"presentationKeplerImaging.ppt" (by Nandita Mangal of SDSC) which can
found in $KEPLER/docs/presentations/. It shows some nice imaging
processing actors that I was unaware that anyone was creating!

    What came to mind on seeing this presentation is that there are a
number of similar imaging processing operatons that can be done with the
IJMacro actor and that I have never really documented these capabilities
in a way that other Kepler developers would appreciate or even know about.

    IJMacro is an extension of the the ImageJ actor. ImageJ is a
Java-based image processing system from the NIH
(http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/). I originally created the ImageJ actor
just for displaying large map images created by GARP/ENM workflows.
Using it for displaying images in Kepler was convenient because it opens
many different types of images and automatically scales the display to
convenient sizes. The user can then interactively carry out a variety of
other image processing operations and then save the result. I also added
a plugin for displaying georeferenced ASCII grid files, since this
wasn't supported by the native ImageJ code. But in addition to handling
all sorts of image operations, and supporting plugins, ImageJ also has a
builtin macro language and a macro recorder. The IJMacro actor executes
ImageJ macros. So a user can record some image processing macro with
ImageJ, paste that macro into the macroString parameter of the IJMacro
actor, and then have a Kepler actor that carries out some fairly complex
image processing actions.

    Even though I was aware of this macro capability, I haven't really
created many good examples. (I primarily used it to display ASCII grid
files.) But I invite other developers who may be interested in
operations ranging from image scaling and rotation to spatial FFTs and
filters to consider the possible use of the IJMacro actor. If anyone is
interested, feel free to contact me for further information.

Dan Higggins
NCEAS