[kepler-dev] SVG file in Kepler

Matthew Brooke brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Nov 10 09:55:25 PST 2005

I think chad's idea is good (although if the stuff in kepler/docs is not
essential for runtime/development, then my preference would be a whole
separate repository - kepler-docs - but ca ne fait rien.)

The SVG files will ultimately be needed to run kepler - so they'd
eventually reside in the dev part of the tree anyway. The reason the
directory is so big is because there are 126 icons in there, each
weighing in at ~500kB. I think they're so big because the graphic artist
guy saved a lot of extraneous crapola in the svg files that doesn't need
to be there (like thumbnail representations for illustrator etc).

If anybody wants to go in and edit them all, you'd earn your place in
heaven, nirvana or wherever else you're headed... ;-)

Chad Berkley wrote:
> I noticed this too.  I think I proposed this months ago, but i'll do it
> again...I think the repository should be split like this:
>
> kepler/dev
> kepler/docs
>
> All of the stuff you need to compile/run kepler would be in dev.  All
> the extraneous stuff would be in docs.  Then you could do a 'cvs co
> kepler/dev' and be a happy camper.
>
> chad
>
> Dan Higgins wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>     I just checked out a new copy of the head of Kepler CVS and wondered
>> why it seemed to take longer than in the past.
>>
>>     One reason appears to be that we now have ~ 60 MB of SVG files! (in
>> kepler\docs\dev\usability\graphics\svg\). This is the same size as the
>> jar directory which has our huge collection of jars needed for Kepler!
>>
>>     Apparently, the SVG files are just the new icons suggested by Laura.
>> But why are they so big? (about 500KB each). I thought vector graphic
>> files were supposed to be compact. Are we going to ship all these with
>> Kepler? Can we put them somewhere other than CVS so we don't have to
>> copy them with every checkout?
>>
>> Dan

Matthew Brooke, Ph.D.
Marine Sciences Research Building, Room #3407
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106-6150
ph: (805) 893-7108   fx: 805-893-8062
brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu