[kepler-dev] PtolemyII 5.0beta release

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Mon May 23 20:06:32 PDT 2005

Thanks Dan for the detailed clarification!

Some comments below..

Bertram

Dan Higgins writes:
 > Hi All,
 >
 >     Actually, things are a little more complicated than just finding
 > workflows. Some Ptolemy actors are in the compiled Kepler jars but not
 > in the Kepler library. As pointed out by Christopher, the Python actor
 > is in this category because it greatly delayed the first time startup of
 > Kepler (because all actors in the library are loaded at startup).
 > Workflows using these actors should run in Kepler.  But some Ptolemy
 > actors are not included in the kepler.jar file, depending on how you
 > compile the Ptolemy source. If you use the 'ant ptolemy' command (in
 > Kepler), the ant build file 'build-ptolemy' is used and if you look at
 > its contents, it explicitly excludes certain Ptolemy source directories
 > where we had compilation problems. This includes the jai directory were
 > the Java Advanced Imaging source is included. You can look at the
 > exclusion list to see what actors have been skipped. In general,
 > anything that might cause problems for some users was removed (and not
 > everyone had the JAI support code (which is platform specific)

yikes.. what ever happened to the much advertised platform
independence of Java ;-)

 > installed). So there are some Ptolemy workflows that will not run in the
 > alpha6 release of Kepler.
 >
 >     Until now, (as far as I know) no Kepler user had asked for us to
 > include JAI in the Kepler distribution, That can change, but it does
 > cause installation difficulties.

I guess we just have the first Kepler user asking for it..

BTW, why is the subject line "beta"? I guess it must be around the
corner :-)

cheers