[kepler-dev] PtolemyII 5.0beta release

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon May 23 19:40:55 PDT 2005

Hi All,

    Actually, things are a little more complicated than just finding
workflows. Some Ptolemy actors are in the compiled Kepler jars but not
in the Kepler library. As pointed out by Christopher, the Python actor
is in this category because it greatly delayed the first time startup of
Kepler (because all actors in the library are loaded at startup).
Workflows using these actors should run in Kepler.  But some Ptolemy
actors are not included in the kepler.jar file, depending on how you
compile the Ptolemy source. If you use the 'ant ptolemy' command (in
Kepler), the ant build file 'build-ptolemy' is used and if you look at
its contents, it explicitly excludes certain Ptolemy source directories
where we had compilation problems. This includes the jai directory were
the Java Advanced Imaging source is included. You can look at the
exclusion list to see what actors have been skipped. In general,
anything that might cause problems for some users was removed (and not
everyone had the JAI support code (which is platform specific)
installed). So there are some Ptolemy workflows that will not run in the
alpha6 release of Kepler.

    Until now, (as far as I know) no Kepler user had asked for us to
include JAI in the Kepler distribution, That can change, but it does
cause installation difficulties.

Dan