[kepler-dev] authentication UI's

Laura L. Downey ldowney at lternet.edu
Fri Jul 29 09:33:00 PDT 2005

Hi Jing

These are just the first mock-ups and I was going by what Ilkay and I
discussed and also what is listed on the wiki page regarding what
information we wanted to display back to the users.

I think the issue stems from having local access (your own machine or
possibly resources on your local domain) versus access to resources that are
non-local.  And for the moment you may not have access to all non-local
resources but say as an example maybe 5 of the 10 out there because maybe
the domain you are on is only trusted by those 5.  Therefore we need to
inform the users what they have access to so that is the reason the
resources are listed.  This was my interpretation from my short convo with
Ilkay and from reading the wiki page as to what some of you had already
recorded about user feedback.

Later on, if we have the situation of local access versus full access to non
local resources (of course this would mean trust relationships established
with all non-local resources) then we could just say local versus full
access to resources on the grid.  But that wasn't my understanding at the
moment.  Also, later on we may have role based access which would mean that
users would have access to resources based on their role and they would only
ever see the things they had permission for.  But I believe role based
access is a ways off, so for now we were going with simply informing the
users that they have access to:  either only their local resources, or
access to what resources their domain has trust relationships with.

Hope this makes sense. ;-)

Laura L. Downey
Senior Usability Engineer
LTER Network Office