[kepler-dev] Java 1.5 with Kepler

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 11 07:59:42 PST 2005

BTW - I ran in to a similar problem when installing Quicktime for Java.
The problem is that the installation adds a string to the CLASSPATH
that has double quotes and backslashes

So, after installing Quicktime for Java, my CLASSPATH looks like
.;.;C:\PROGRA~1\JMF21~1.1E\lib\sound.jar;C:\PROGRA~1\JMF21~1.1E\lib\jmf.jar;C:\PROGRA~1\JMF21~1.1E\lib;C:\WINDOWS\java\classes;.;"C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"

This causes no end of problems with the Ptolemy II bin/ptinvoke
script.

I hacked in a fix to ptinvoke.in, but I'm not that confident it will
work in all situations.

_Christopher

--------

    Hi All,
        I was just testing Kepler with the recent Java release 1.5.-_01.
    Kepler seems to run fine, but I did run into some issues with the
    $JAVA_HOME environment variable on a Windows machine.

        The default install location for the Java 1.5 SDK has been moved to
    the the 'Program Files\Java\' directory. This puts a 'space' into the
    path. My first attempt resetting the JAVA_HOME variable was to set
    JAVA_HOME=C:\"Program Files"\Java\jdk1.5.0_01". This causes a problem
    with ANT (which uses the JAVA_HOME variable. [Note that apparently the
    Kepler build script sets JAVA_HOME but really never uses it.] However,
    one can remove the quotes in the JAVA_HOME value and everything works
    fine! So it looks like you should NOT add quotes when spaces occur in
    environment variables on Windows XP

    Dan

    Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
    http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-892-2531