[kepler-dev] Java 1.5 with Kepler

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jan 10 10:20:24 PST 2005

Hi All,
    I was just testing Kepler with the recent Java release 1.5.-_01.
Kepler seems to run fine, but I did run into some issues with the
$JAVA_HOME environment variable on a Windows machine.

    The default install location for the Java 1.5 SDK has been moved to
the the 'Program Files\Java\' directory. This puts a 'space' into the
path. My first attempt resetting the JAVA_HOME variable was to set
JAVA_HOME=C:\"Program Files"\Java\jdk1.5.0_01". This causes a problem
with ANT (which uses the JAVA_HOME variable. [Note that apparently the
Kepler build script sets JAVA_HOME but really never uses it.] However,
one can remove the quotes in the JAVA_HOME value and everything works
fine! So it looks like you should NOT add quotes when spaces occur in
environment variables on Windows XP

Dan

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-892-2531