[kepler-dev] planned kepler-1.0.0alpha5 release

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 23 09:24:10 PST 2005

Ptolemy is quite flexible on startup, and getting more so all the time.
Below is an up-to date usage info on the vergil command-line invocation.
Note in particular the -configuration option, which opens a configuration
that specifies nearly everything about when you get when you invoke vergil
(or ptexecute, or ptolemy, two other command-line invocations that might
be useful).

Edward

$ vergil -help
Usage: vergil [commonOptions] [commandSpecificOptions] [modelOrClass]
Invoke the Ptolemy II User Interface, for example:
   vergil
   vergil C:/ptII/ptolemy/moml/demo/modulation.xml
   vergil -single
   where the latter brings up a singleWindow interface.
   NOTE: properties are read from $CLASSPATH/lib/ptII.properties

The [commonOptions] can be one or more of:
  -debug     Enable debugging with jdb, see $PTII/doc/coding/debugging.htm
  -help      Print this help message
  -helpall   List the Ptolemy II commands that can be invoked
  -jdb       Run jdb instead of java, see $PTII/doc/coding/debugging.htm
  -profiler  Run under cpu sample profiling
  -q         Do not echo the command being run
  -sandbox   Run model under tight security, see $PTII/bin/sandbox.policy
  -policyfile policyfile  Run model with a specified policyfile
Note that not all combinations above the above arguments make sense.

Now invoking vergil -help for command-specific options:

Opening user library C:\Documents and
Settings\eal\.ptolemyII\UserLibrary.xml... Done
Usage: vergil [ options ] [file ...]

Options that take values:
  -class <classname>
  -<parameter name> <parameter value>
  -configuration <configuration URL, defaults to
ptolemy/configs/full/configuration.xml>

Flags (do not take values):
  -help
  -run
  -runThenExit
  -test
  -version

The following (mutually exclusive) flags specify alternative configurations:
  -dsp                           Configuration to use for DSP-only
applications.
  -full                          uses
C:\ptII\ptolemy\configs\full\configuration.xml
  -hyvisual                      Configuration for Hybrid Systems
  -jni                           Configuration for use with JNI.
  -jxta                          uses
C:\ptII\ptolemy\configs\jxta\configuration.xml
  -ptiny                         Configuration including only mature domains.
  -ptinyos                       Configuration for PtinyOS models
  -visualsense                   Configuration for VisualSense

At 10:11 PM 2/22/2005 -0800, Bertram Ludaescher wrote:
>  > > I'm not sure I understand. Why can't there be a start-up sequence in
>  > > which the system looks for user-specific init/config files, after
>  > > like that on start-up: first load the "default configs" (corresponding
>  > > what would be found in the release/cvs) then look for the "user
>  > > configs", e.g., at the the place defined by an environment
>  > > variable (if it is defined), or if such isn't defined, then at a
>  > > "user location" such as ~/.keplerrc
>  >
>  > Yeah ... I don't think conceptually any of this is probably that
>  > difficult; it's just that someone needs to implement it!
>  >
>  > >
>  > > I'm not sure what Ptolemy II does at start-up, but I wouldn't be
>  > > suprised if they'd let you do sth like that (and if they don't,
>  > > probably Kepler should do sth like that).
>  >
>  > It's all just java code, so if we can change the base code, we're golden.
>
>Or (as just discussed ;-) maybe we can use some existing "start-up
>hooks" of Ptolemy ...

Edward A. Lee
Professor, Chair of the EE Division, Associate Chair of EECS
231 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
phone: 510-642-0253 or 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2845
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal