[kepler-dev] Re: Kepler+R demo problem

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 1 20:58:25 PST 2005

Bertram,
    My apologies for not getting back to you earlier. I was at the
dentist's office this afternoon and didn't get back to my office.
    My best guess about your problem running the
'Composite_R_DataReader_Example' is a recently discovered bug in the
CommandLine actor used by this R example workflow. It turns out that the
default installation location used by the Kepler installer (alpha4) on
Windows is inside the "Program Files" directory. That 'space' between
'Program' and 'Files' causes exactly the problem you describe! One 'fix'
is to reinstall Kepler under a subdirectory that has no spaces (e.g.
directly under C:). That works for me with alpha4. (at least after I
remember to set the 'path' parameter on the Kepler workflow graph to
properly point to where Kepler is installed.)
    Note that I am assuming you are running on a Windows machine. There
are some other problems with running the workflow on a Linux or Mac
system. (I can supply some details for that if you need them.)

    We have fixed the 'space' problem in the latest version of Kepler. I
have been working on a new installer with that fix and a fix for the
searching problem we discussed a few days ago. You can actually download
new installers for Windows at http://kepler-project.org/dist/. The new
windows installers are called 'kepler-1.0.0alpha4_1.exe' and
'kepler-1.0.0alpha4_1-jre.exe'. Note that since they are minor changes,
they are referenced in the file names as 'alpha4_1' (i.e. a minor change
to the alpha4 release). They are not yet linked into the kepler-project
web site download page. Hopefully, I will get that done tomorrow. The R
example should work even when installed in the 'Program Files' directory
with these installers.

    If these comments don't solve your problem, please let me know. I
have run into a lot of path-related problems with workflows like this
(i.e. workflows which use files for passing data) related to different
install locations, working directories,  and machine differences.

Dan